January 03, 2012

Sunsets

Yesterday didn't start off too well. I ended up having to make a very costly purchase on my day off that was unexpected and I was in a bad mood. To relax I went to my favorite Peruvian restaurant (mostly because the food is amazing but also because there's a really cute waiter) with rooftop seating to watch the sunset and sip on frozen passionfruit alcoholic beverages. I had been contemplating what to order; a dish that I already knew was delicious, or something new. When Gustavo, my cute, curly-headed waiter came over to take my order for dinner, i let him know that I wanted to try something knew and asked for a recommendation. We narrowed it down to Pescado al Ajo (fish with garlic). While I sat back and enjoyed my cold tropical drink, I observed a young couple in front of me sharing a beer in the chairs they turned away from their table to watch the sun sink into the pink, orange, and blue-green sky. When the 3rd occupied table of a mother and her 20 something year old 2 children left, they each had half of their beer left in their glasses and I thought to myself 'I wish I had the balls to take their still-fresh drinks.' Before I thought twice about it, the man of the young couple stood up, grabbed all 3 glasses, and poured the remaining beer into his glass! I couldn't believe it! The non-waster in me was ecstatic. As the colors in the sky continued to get more beautiful, I offered to take a photo of the couple with the gorgeous sky in the background. After volunteering my services, I was invited to join the Argentinian couple Kristian & Cielo at their table for a beer on them! My food was served by Gustavo who seemed confused that I had switched tables and suddenly made friends. In front of me was a whole fish, eyes and all, doused in garlic and accompanied by rice. Kristian mentioned to me that he loves it when woman are traveling alone and try something new so he complimented my wanting to try a new dish. I was flattered that he had noticed! The Argentinian couple and I chatted the night away in Spanish sipping on our respective alcoholic drinks and my somewhat annoying day turned into something magical. We walked over to a nearby cliff to take in the view and headed to another bar. By 11pm we headed back to my hostel to put beers on my tab for a discount and played pool until 3am with Rob. I even beat him once! It seems like my not-so wonderful days end up turning into magnificently splendid experiences with marvelous people. I sure hope for more experiences like these!