March 31, 2012

Matty Boy

My new bartender is nothing short of awesome, but also short. The ginger-headed Scotsman has a hilarious, vulgar, and sarcastic sense of humor so of course we get along wonderfully. We crack jokes, curse, and make fun of each other and genuinely have a good time together. Matty Boy, the nickname I have given him works pretty hard to lighten his accent for me and annunciate his words making it easier for me to understand what the heck he says. He might even be my sort-of Rob replacement...I mean substitute. I miss Rob a whole lot and he sent me an email the other day letting me know he will be coming to Arequipa in 2ish weeks! Awesome! Matty Boy even spent a few nights at The Point in Lima and chatted with Rob, his ginger-headed neighbor and my platonic husband which made me happy. Matt is a really interesting fellow. His dad died a few months before he decided to come to Peru to teach English. His dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when he was 64. He died at 74, being 24 years major of his wife, Matts mother (major? does that make sense?). It reminded me of my grandmother who I lovingly called Mommom and I couldn't believe that it has been two years since she peacefully passed away and I got a little teary eyed at our vegetarian lunch together. Lunch was delish! For 7 Soles Matt and I had the pre-set menu which included a vegetable salad of beets, carrots, and potatoes followed by soup with squash and corn. I was feeling full when Gloria, the strictly vegetarian restaurant owner brought us our entrées; mushroom lasagna with a white sauce, a pumpkin stew-like dish, and rice. I ate 1/3 of my main plate because I couldn't possibly fit anything else into my stomach, except for our dessert which there always seems to be room for- bananas on a thin bed of honey topped off with vanilla yogurt. Yum! Matt paid for my lunch telling me I could get the next one, but I think he was just being a gentleman. We then walked to the main plaza to hand out fliers advertising our bar. After three minutes of waiting for the right audience to pass an ad to, we handed a flier to the first gringa we saw and she crumbled it up! I was pissed. If you're going to crumble up our money then don't freaking take a flier! I got frustrated and Matt and I decided that we would go back to the plaza later in the evening when there would be a better crowd walking around to find dinner. We didn't end up going back because we got caught up in bar training and the bar was getting busy. Matt's first night behind the bar was good! He's worked in bars before and is very friendly and outgoing with the hostel guests. So this afternoon was a daytime party at a facility called Mr. Fish. I went with some staff from The Point and 2 hostel-stayers. I was so overwhelmed with the number of attractive people there that I didn't know what to do with myself. I am considered exotic in Peru and I tend to attract a lot of attention- both good and bad. After mingling with an English teacher from France who lives in Australia, a professional hip-hop dancer, and about seven other attractive Peruvian men, I hobbled over to the VIP area with my flamboyant friend, Teo (Mateo) and proceeded to flirt with more Latino men using only my eyes and smile. I was successful and had about six of them following me. I made a quick escape with the people I came with including Liel the Israeli and headed back to the hostel. Julia from Germany and I decided to go to dinner and had some scrumptious falafel. On our way back we crossed some artisans selling handmade bracelets for 2 Soles and I picked one out to wrap around my ankle. Unfortunately the one I chose was about two centimeters too short so I was given the option to pick my own colors and I sat with an Argentinian and a Colombian while they made my ankle bracelet in front of me. Julia sat and tolerated the Argentinian who was caressing her wrist and arm with his lips. It was quite uncomfortable and as soon as they were finished, we made a quick getaway for the hostel! I can't believe how great my life is and while I am looking forward to returning to the states, I will miss the life i've been living.