September 08, 2011

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?

She's here at The Point- I made her a White Russian last night behind the bar where I currently work...as a bartender...in Lima, Peru. Crazy right? I haven't made anything super fancy yet and backpackers don't quite order martinis but I have a feeling that my arms will gradually get stronger as I pop the caps off of what seems to be an endless supply of Cuzqueña beer- a delicious Peruvian treat popular at The Pointless bar.

The people I am meeting are nothing short of fascinating. Each person's story is so unique and beautiful and I fiend for their life details in hopes of gaining as much knowledge as possible of what's 'out there'. For example: Lyn is a 32 year old Swiss woman who studied and practiced law, lived in Costa Rica for 2.5 years, and has a journey ahead of her just shy of 1 year, seeing the world. She shared stories of some insane cases she's worked on. Konstantine is a young German man who beams with enthusiasm for life and quizzes me with Spanish vocabulary. He ended up snagging my bunk bed which actually worked out PERFECTLY because I didn't have to climb up on top! He's also one of 2 people taller than me here! Stephen works in Finance in London, has a thick French accent, and is taking a 3 month holiday in Peru. He's already extended his flight twice in hopes of soaking up more memorable adventures before returning to his demanding job. And then there are the group of Australian surfers: Joe, Luke, and James- all of whom have blonde hair and the most beautiful aqua-blue eyes I have seen in my life. I needed a map- I was lost, lost in their eyes (oy).

And on that note- I am going with Sitska and Stephen for a 1 hour surfing lesson a 30 minute cab ride down the coast of the ocean. Mom, I know you're freaking out at the thought of me surfing, especially considering the back surgery I had just 8 months ago- but don't worry! It's beginner level, very slow, and this will be a great opportunity for me to feel some muscles that I haven't felt in a very long time!

Life is GOOD =)