September 05, 2011

WWJD

I found Jesus! He's on a 7 foot cross, wearing a wig that looks EXACTLY like my hair, and even has his crown of thorns with painted blood on his feet. Sorry for the vivid description of JC- but it's all in the name of religion, no? Jesus is located in the Catholic church where Tia Luz goes to pray to the person whom she believes is the son of god.

Mom & Dad- don't worry; i'm not converting. I did however attend church on Sunday with Tia Luz- the great aunt of my friend Astrid. Not only was this my first experience in a church, it was all in Spanish, quite fascinating, and consisted of some uncanny resemblances to a Shabbat service in a synagogue.

Tia Luz & Tio Hugo live in Pueblo Libre, a town within Lima that translates to 'Poor Town'. It's noisy, busy, and not the cleanest city I've been in. Luz y Hugo are an older couple (70 & 90 respectively) and do not speak a lick of English. They have a lovely home that's decorated with every possible trinket they've acquired for the last 40 years. The artwork and wall hangings are plentiful and vast. Hugo y Luz have been ever so generous in offering me my own room in their home for a reasonable price that has an attached bathroom with a sink and toilet.

My first few days have been spent becoming acquainted with my temporary new home and it's been slightly frustrating considering the language barrier, but also rewarding when I can successfully communicate with the non-English speakers who now completely surround me. I've been waking up around 7:30am every morning, not by choice, but by the noisy honking of the cars in the street below. I'm told that this ongoing music box of traffic is here to stay and that there is no avoiding it. After I wake up, I join Hugo in la cocina (the kitchen) for breakfast which consists of various breads and toast. Hugo drinks warm milk and I drink Manzanillo- delicious tea which soothes my nauseas stomach on a daily basis. Hugo worked as a pediatrician for 40 something years and now spends his days reading, reading, and reading more. According to Luz, he doesn't sleep. at all. Luz works as teacher for 12 year olds- or at least that's what I picked up from her speedy talking. She leaves at 7am M-F. After breakfast, Hugo and I have been playing chess and checkers. He ALWAYS wins. It must be the 90 years of practice. He's even taught me a few things!

At nighttime I've been watching Hugo y Luz play Canasta and I am slowly learning the rules. It's amazing learning a brand new game in another language and I think I'm getting the hang of it- sort of. Granted, the first few days have been difficult, but I am getting more an more used to being in Lima. As I type, I am waiting for the owner of ThePointHostel to come in to interview me for a position in their bar. This job would be my dream come true for my stay in Peru. Wish me luck!!

Hasta Luego