December 14, 2011

23 Days!

Today I went to lunch with Juan, a friend of my friend Astrid. I know Astrid from The States- we spent a week together when she was in Peru in October. Astrid has known Juan most of her life and has kept in touch with him as he lives here in Lima. I figure it's always a plus to have an extra connection when in a foreign city. Juan met me at 2:05 at the hostel which is impressive considering I thought he'd be running on Peruvian time which is (minimum) about 45 minutes late. We walked to our destination; Signoro Losorgno (sp?) for lunch in Barranco, only about a 6 min stroll. This was my third time at this restaurant which blows me away with deliciousness each time I go there to eat. My first experience at this restaurant was with my friend Ben which was funny because he had taken his girlfriend there for dinner and then had taken me, just as his friend, but we joked about the fact that the owner (who comes to the tables to say hello to all of his guests) probably thinks that Ben takes all of his ladies there on dates haha! The owner now knows me which is cool and he appreciates that I keep coming back. I told him that if he keeps making such delicious sangrias, he'll continue to see me in his establishment. I can't wait to take Jason there! By the way, only 23 days until jason arrives!! W00t! That one time with Ben, the owner's son played the guitar on stage and handed out free CDs of his music! It was lovely. So today in the restaurant, there was a table of about 25 men in business attire with about 20 bottles of various types of alcohol drinking, eating, laughing, and singing along with the piano man. When the owner came over to welcome us to his restaurant, he explained that in the second half of December, it is customary for people to have celebratory lunches in honor of the upcoming new year. In general, Peruvians take a ciesta every afternoon from about 12-3 to eat lunch, rest, then return to work for another 2 hours. It's a big deal here and can sometimes turn into a party depending on how much wine is consumed with lunch! Juan is taking English classes so he asked that I speak English with him because he doesn't have any native English speakers with whom he can practice. My Spanish is definitely better than his English and I could tell that he was uncomfortable in his head searching for his words. I think he really appreciated my willingness to work with him and be patient. I had frejol de seco for lunch which was deliciously stewed beef with coriander, carrots, and peas, served with rice, beans, and onion relish. Juan had some kind of fish cooked with tomatoes, onions, and rice. Lunch was delicious and Juan even paid for me which I didn't expect at all, but really appreciated.  We walked to the park across from the hostel so Juan could smoke a cigarette and then he was on his way. I thanked him for lunch and said I look forward to the next time we get together.

People often ask me what my plan is for when I get back to the states and I finally have an idea. I recently submitted a work and holiday visa for Australia! I fly back to the states May 4, 2012, we have a family cruise to Alaska in August and then I plan to go to Australia in October for about a year! I plan on working in hospitality over there because the wages are very high in that field. While Australians don't tip in bars and restaurants, minimum wage is $15 with those in higher-end bars making upwards of $23 per hour! Living expenses may be high but my wages will be high so I am not worried. I am told however that produce is very expensive; a kilo of bananas (2.2lbs) is $12! In Lima I buy 5 bananas for .37 from the local man with a fruit stand! I'm leaning towards living in Melbourne which is a much more low-key city and cultural city than high-end Sydney with snazzy bars and clubs. Melbourne also has a much bigger artsy scene with hippies which is right down my alley! Having worked in a hostel where many Aussies stay, I have met a lot of people who are willing to open their homes to me. I know I will make it work. I had even less of a plan when coming to Peru, not really speaking the language so Australia will be a piece of cake.