December 30, 2011

Traderer

I did the unthinkable yesterday. Something I have been avoiding for oh so long and I am embarrassed to admit I have committed such an act. Get ready. Ok. Here it goes; I went to Starbucks. Oy vey I am so ashamed. Okay, let me explain myself. South America is known for it's coffee beans. I live in Peru. Ergo, I expected to be surrounded by bundles of deliciously roasted coffee beans brought to me from the rainforest. Contrarily, I have been disappointed by the lack of dark roasted coffee delights. A coffee shop in the district of Barranco (where I currently reside) recently opened called Bisetti which I have frequented lately and enjoyed perfectly concocted cappuccinos decorated with a white heart shaped from the foam resting perfectly atop my white coffee cup of wonderfulness. Last night when Rob and I walked to our favorite coffee shop, we ran into Cynthia and James, the Peruvian and Kiwi (respectively) couple sipping warm beverages doused with caffeine with Cynthia's Peruvian cousins (one of whom is married to an Israeli so of course I listed the 18 words in Hebrew that I know!). Rob and I sat to chat, (well I sat to chat while Rob went to the counter to order our 2 cappuccinos. My biggest mistake was letting Rob order because, well, Rob doesn't really know Spanish other than his small vocabulary he has learned in order to hit on chicks. After 25 minutes and coffee-less, I asked a barista for our drinks and found out that they had closed at 9pm and that we were SOL. Rob then realized what the woman behind the coffee counter had told him that they were closed. Woops! Then, I did the unthinkable, I suggested that we walk 3 doors down to the Starbucks that opened last week. Don't get me wrong, back home I enjoy the occasional way too strong coffee or a chai tea frappucino but because I am residing in South America, a continent well known for its coffee beans, I had decided that I would avoid major chains like KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, TGI FRidays, Chilis, and Starbucks, all of which can be found throughout the capital of Peru; Lima. I happened to be in desperate need of a coffee in order to make it through my work shift, Bisetti was closed, my second choice for a coffee, La Talcochita was closed, and my last choice was Starbucks. I caved. Rob got a cappuccino and I ordered a Toffee Nut Latte. Grande. Oh thank Heaven! My beverage was so delicious. I am so embarrassed to admit that I gave into this American chain. I will do everything I can in my future in South America to use Starbucks as a very last resort in having the necessity for a caffeinated  beverage. Whew! What a relief to get that off my chest.