February 17, 2012

Home Sweet Home

I managed to sleep for about half the time during my 14 hour bus ride from Piura to Lima which was preceded by an 8 hour bus ride. I took some motion sickness medicine that made me drowsy and came in and out of small naps. I purchased a ticket on the first level of the bus which is just like first class bus style. I had a big comfy black leather chair and 2 air conditioning vents! My seat was equipped with a foot rest that extended from the seat in front of me. Upstairs is not air conditioned and there are 4 seats in a riow with an isle down the middle as opposed to only 3 seats in one row; 2 on one side and 1 on the other. I was willing to pay the 140 Soles for first class ($52.83) instead of 90 Soles. When we arrived in Lima, I noticed that I had a difficult time putting my usually gliding flip flops on my feet and upon looking down at my not so beautifully painted toes, noticed that my legs and feet were insanely swollen! What had happened!? I didn't do any more walking than usual? I didn't sleep on my legs in a strange way, but I did have an increased number of mosquito bites. What else could it be? My blood is either overwhelmed by the bite marks left on my bronze skin, or I am suddenly allergic! I calmly entered a cab and took the 20 minute ride back to The Point more worried about making it to pee in time rather than my sickly looking trump of a body. I checked back into the place which was my home for 5.5 months as if I was starting all over again. I peed just in time- whew! I had the choice between a 9 person dorm or 6. I went with 6 unless I can possibly move back into the staff room. I don't necessarily expect my bartending job back, but could possibly be in luck considering the 2 German bartenders whom I trained are leaving on Sunday. I don't want to get sucked back in to the lifestyle of The Point Lima because it's important to me to have a change of scenery and to learn about a new place for my last 2.5 months in Peru. I need to be around less gringos/English speaking people and being up in the mountains on the outskirts of town would be a nice place to relocate. I might even take that bar manager job I was initially considering- considering it'll give me the chance to have some income. So. I checked into a 6 person dorm, took a shower for the first time in 3 days and brushed my teeth for the first time in 24 hours. Oh happy day! I had a hot shower with lots of pressure- such a delicious reward after a long trip. After I got dressed, I went into my old room, the bar staff room, and crawled into bed with my platonic husband Robbie and proceeded to kiss his sweaty cheek. Big mistake- it was sweatier than I thought and I immediately wiped my mouth on his sheets. He unenthusiastically opened his eyes and smiled at the site of my curly wet hair and me exclaiming 'buenos dias! Robbie, i'm home!' Rob smiled at me even bigger this time and told me not to worry about his lack of enthusiasm as he had gotten into bed just an hour ago. It was 7:30am. I assured him that we had much to catch up on having not seen our best friends in 3 weeks! I exited the muggy room and headed for a farmacia to deal with my expanding limbs. I walked to the nearest open pharmacy with little to no problem moving around except for some tightness in my feet from the swelling. I was one block away when I slipped on a pile of doggy poop and fell down to my knee. I recovered with grace but was frustrated that I had just gotten out of the shower. I asked the pharmacist for a towel or some TP to wipe the poo off of my toes which had now spread to my foot and my shoe after some more walking. Good thing Stan told me it's good luck. Otherwise I would not be a happy camper. Luckily there is not a mess that a little soap and water won't fix. I explained to the pharmacist my symptoms and because I was pain free there was no need to see a doctor. I was given 3 days worth of antihistamines (in exchange for money) and was on my way! I came back to the hostel, parked my swollen butt outside in the garden with my laptop and a mug of chamomile tea (known here as as manzanilla), and observed as each backpacker slowly came out of their rooms. I journaled for you all to read about my life the past few days and hopefully I'll get sleepy in a few hours and take a nice nap before celebrating the weekend and Carnaval, Lima style!