February 26, 2012

Internet Café

I haven't had much to write about within the last week as I have returned to Lima where I once resided for nearly 5.5 months bartending. The 2 German female bartenders whom I trained have moved on with their travels and have headed to northern Peru. Michal, the Jewish American from Philly is currently bartending while Amani, the Argentinian is the guarder of the stock and the cash drawer. I was told that there were significant problems with missing beers and depleted alcohol so I think there was suspicion that the former tenders of the bar were deciding to drink for free- woops! So my recent dilemma is what I will do for my last 2 months here (holy crap i've been in South America for 6 months!!). I would like to go explore a new city, but it is difficult for me to have an official job because I don't have a work visa for Peru. I would work in a bar again- I still have an opportunity to be the bar manager in Arequipa at The Point Hostels, but the position is not available for another week or 2 and I can't quite afford to just hang out in Lima doing nothing. I realize now I should have done a short trip to the amazon jungle, but I also got sick 3 days ago with some kind of stomach bug so i need a toilet near by every or so. I'm finally feeling better from that! There are also a few programs where I'd like to volunteer but programs either ask you to pay them, spots are currently unavailable (it's good they have an abundance of volunteers), or they need a minimum requirement of more than 3 months. Yet another option was to go back to Cusco, the tourist city used to get to Machu Picchu to work in a hostel in exchange for my room and board. Welp, the cost of a room there is 12 Soles ($4.52) and the work I would be doing is cleaning bathrooms, the kitchen, and making beds. For 6 hours a day. In exchange, I would also have an abundance of non English-speaking hippie friends, ongoing drum circles, and a behind the scenes look at such a cultural and fun city. I decided not to go to Cusco. There's a local bar owner who wants me to work in her bar here in Barranco with my knowledge of both English and Spanish, my awesome personality, and my dangerous good looks. However, I've done the whole Lima thing so I am not interested in staying here. So now I am back to square one! Life is tough isn't it?

On a side note, funny story; About 2 months back I was in Miraflores and was asked by a young man if I knew where he could find an internet café to which I replied no, and somewhat expected him to move on. Contrary to my expectation, this young man proceeded to ask me where I am from, what kind of music I like, if I like Peru, how long I've been here, how long I'm staying, what I like so far, if i've been to any concerts, where else in Peru I have traveled to, if I came alone, if I have a boyfriend (you get the gist). I was reluctantly answering each question and was clearly annoyed so i didn't understand why he didn't get the hint. He asked me for my number to which I replied no and he rode off (we was riding alongside me on his freaking bicycle). Preface; In Miraflores (an area in Lima known for being uppity and ritzy), it's not uncommon for young Peruvians to hang out there looking for gringos (who are very wealthy compared to the standards of living in Peru) to meet, date, fall in love with, eventually marry, and have an instant ticket to their spouse's rich, gringo country. I am approached on a regular basis. Sometimes by really attractive people- but I know what their goals are and I am not interested in developing anything more than friendships. Last week when I got back to Lima I was walking around Barranco getting some fresh air and an ice cream scoop when I was approached by a man on foot who asked me if I knew where he could find an internet café. HA! I looked over and guess who it was!? When we made eye contact, buddy stuttered 'uhh nevermind' and power-walked off. Awkward for him! Too funny.