November 23, 2011

Blast from the Past

Today I went into Larcomar with my friend Asia Power (yes, that's her real name) from Australia. Asia has been back and forth to The Point twice which is very common for backpackers, especially the ones leaving from the Lima airport, only 30 minutes from the hostel. We went into this uppity area for bikini waxes which only cost 25 Soles (about $9.50) and tip is not customary. After our pampering we walked over to Vivanda, the gourmet super market to buy some goodies and to find some gluten-free bread for Asia who has an allergy. I bought some Gouda, wheat crackers, and fruit bars made without preservatives and Asia bought cheese and gluten-free bread, crackers, and wafers; success! We then ventured over to La Lucha, a sandwich shop to buy 2 frozen drinks as it was rather humid outside and I was getting shvitzy. I got a refreshingly delicious passion fruit smoothie and Asia got strawberry- they really hit the spot! We bussed back to the general vicinity of the hostel and Asia pointed to a small boutique she had spotted a few days prior and asked if we could check it out. Little did Asia know, the boutique she wanted to visit is Floam, the store of the woman, Jennifer who I met when I first arrived in Lima and had some technical difficulties at the supermarket. Jennifer and I were supposed to get together so I could help her learn English but she's been preoccupied planning her Fall clothing line. Asia studied fashion in college and spent a while chatting it up with Jennifer in her store about materials, workshops, inspiration, and sewing. Asia ended up buying a really eclectic necklace and is going to return to Floam on Friday to chat it up more about textiles. I'm glad we went into the store to see Jennifer because it reminded her to get in touch with me for some English lessons! Maybe to thank me she'll custom-make (of course i'll pay) me a shirt that isn't the equivalent of a size 6 in the U.S.

We returned to the hostel around 3:45pm which couldn't have been more on point as it turns out I was scheduled to work at 4pm, not 8:30pm- oops! I had been sitting in the bar for no more than 15 minutes when 2 cute (but short) Swiss guys came in and said 'guess who we met today!?' I searched my memory of random friends I make on a daily basis and nervously asked who. They said Roberto! Such a blast from the past! Roberto was the short Peruvian with curly hair who took me surfing and ripped me off by 100 Soles. How precious. He recognized the orange wristbands that the hostel-stayers are required to wear at all times, except for staff who stay more semi-permanently. The Swiss boys claimed that they wanted to go long boarding but Roberto only had short boards. Small world!

Lastly, I received some sad news on Monday; Bruno, my loving guinea pig passed away in the loving home of the Carnageys, good friends of mine. Bruno was a wonderful (and my first) pet and he will be missed a lot. I'm sure he's in guinea pig heaven chowing down on carrots and lettuce. Love you little man!