November 25, 2011

Team Awesome

The Point Hostel offers several different kind of rooms for accommodation. We offer rooms with 9 beds down to rooms with only 2 and prices range from 27 Soles up to 50 (2.65 Soles for every $1). I have been living in an 8 person dorm for nearly 3 months as the cheapest accommodation is provided for staff living at The Point. Except for Di, the supervisor in reception who has been working at The Point for over 2 years. She manages to fill her room last so she can keep her room quiet with very few intruders. Rob and I compare horror stories of living in high occupancy rooms like the conversations we overhear, the same stories about missing buses, visiting Machu Picchu, and backpacker romances. Guests often times have absolutely no respect for people staying in their room and give us funny looks when we crawl out of bed at 2pm after working a long night keeping our guests happy at the bar. Rob and I hit a final straw when there were 4 Aussies sleeping in my room who would stomp around, turn on the lights, and speak at full volume at 4am when they returned from a night of heavy partying. Rob decided it was time to ask Tamir, the owner if we could please move into a staff room for professionalism rather than sleeping with the customers (in their rooms, not actually with them)! We got approval from the stingy Israeli hostel owner and we patiently awaited for the deaprture of the 2 Englishmen from Team Awesome, the name of a 4 bed dorm; 2 singles and 1 bunk bed. Move in day finally arrived on Wednesday and I lugged my luggage the 80 meters to my new, semi-private room with the 2 other bartenders. Peace at last! No more messes, noisy passer-bys or misplaced belongings spread amongst my things. So speaking of 2 other bartenders; one is Rob, my Irish BFF and the other is Phil- a tall, dark and handsome Australian who plans on staying with us through New Years. He is super funny, nice, and chivalrous. I could not have asked for a better buddy to serve the thirsty backpackers who frequent our bar on a nightly basis.

On a separate note, The Point is looking for a bar manager for their locations in both Arequipa and Mancora. Rob approached me earlier in the week shortly after I had awakened from my much needed beauty sleep to tell me that Tamir wanted to speak with me regarding the managerial position in Arequipa. I was nothing short of shocked and flattered and instantly became anxious. I met Tamir in his office Tuesday afternoon and was greeted with a smile (per usual as smiles are contagious). I sat down in the comfy brown leather chair opposite of Tamir in his office and was all ears. I listened to Tamir tell me that Arequipa was lacking a bar manager with professionalism and someone who takes initiative in showing the guests a good time. The bar manager would have to order supplies, stock, arrange events in the bar, and hire bar tenders. I inquired about having to pay for transportation as it's a 1 hour flight vs an 18 hour bus ride. Although Tamir would pay for whichever method was cheaper, I offered to pay the difference for a flight in case a bus was the lesser expensive of the two- i'm all about negotiations! I would have a (small) salary and make a commission on alcohol sales. I accepted the position without much hesitation, returned to the hostel and began informing my close friends that I would be leaving this coming Tuesday. Soon after saying the shocking words out loud, I broke into tears, realizing i'd be leaving the place I have called home for 3 months and the people I have come to call my family. I walked over to Señora Tina, one of the lovely women who keeps our hostel clean giving it the reputation it has for being the cleanest hostel in Lima and informed her that I would be going. I started crying again! Then Tina broke down into tears and simply broke my heart. We carefully wiped the tears from each other's wet cheeks and proceeded to hug. I started to realize that I would dreadfully miss The Point and my family so much it would make my heart melt. Maybe I was jumping into this decision too quickly without thinking about it enough and i hadn't even told Robbie yet who was nowhere to be found. I then began to realize that I had made a huge mistake and that I didn't really want to leave Lima. It's really important to me to celebrate my birthday and New Years with my family in Lima. Within 24 hours I set a meeting with Tamir to inform him of my change of heart and boy was I nervous. Two days later when Tamir could finally make room for me in his busy schedule, I sat back down in that wonderfully comfortable chair in his office and proceeded to tell him of my change of heart. Tamir's response was so terrific and understanding, I could not have asked for a better situation. Tamir is still looking for new bar managers and even told Rob that if I make one teeny mistake to fire me so that I can go to Arequipa! Tamir loves me, my smile, and the way I talk to EVERYONE who comes into the bar. Who can blame him?

Lastly, I have conjunctivitis- could have been a good day

=)