November 06, 2011

Blondie

The owner of The Point Hostel, where I work owns 5 chains within Peru. We have locations in Lima, Puno, Mancora, Cusco, and Arequipa. The multi multimillionaire owner is Tamir, an Israeli who opened up The Point, Lima 9 years ago and is clearly a successful business man. Tamir is pretty well known in this area as he brings in a lot of business so when someone comes into the bar and says they know Tamir, we obviously have to be extra nice to them. About 2 weeks ago a blonde man from Germany who has been living in Peru for 7 years came into the bar with some of his friends whom I gladly served with a smile- just as I do with everyone else I serve. I know these specific details about Blondie (I really don't even care to know his real name) because Rob warned me about his tendencies to be a particularly difficult customer. At 1:15am Blondie had come into the bar requesting a beer when the bar had closed at 1am and a 'last call' was announced at 12:45. I kindly responded that the bar was closed and I had locked all of our refrigerators. I was then criticized for being rude and Blondie demanded that I get him a beer. I consulted with Rob who said that if Blondie had exact change (Rob had already cashed out), I could serve him a beer. I delivered the message to Blondie who rolled his eyes, muttered some words in Spanish and proceeded to fish into his pockets for some coins. I walked over to the fridge, unlocked the padlock on my first try (which is amazing considering there are 20 something unlabeled keys on our set of bar keys) and grabbed a cold one. Blondie handed me 10 Soles for his 7 Soles beer. I took a deep breath and calmly told him that I did not have any change. Blondie then scolded me, telling me I was a terrible bartender for not having change and attempted to walk away without paying for his beer. All this time I kept a smile on my face but I was a tad bit heated. Blondie went to fetch some Soles from his amigos in the garden and returned with exact change. This all happened 2 weeks ago and things were fine until Blondie decided to come into the bar Friday night. I smelled trouble as soon as he entered my territory. Right off the bat he ordered 2 beers, 2 extra glasses and 3 shots. No problem, clean cut. Let me preface this situation by explaining that guests staying at the hostel have the option of paying in cash right away or putting their drinks on their tab which they pay when they check out. Because Blondie is not a paying guest, he is required to cash out right away. We do not accept credit cards or begin tabs for outsiders. Fifteen minutes after Blondie's initial drink order, he came back  to order another shot. I gladly poured him his baby Guinness which is a shot glass filled 5/6 with Kahlua and topped off with Baileys so that it resembles a Guinness. I politely asked for 6 Soles so that I could complete the transaction. Blondie then said to me in Spanish that it's a pain in the ass to have to pay for a drink every time he wants something and told me to start a tab for him. I smiled back, took a deep breath, and explained that I needed him to pay right away. Blondie proceeded to tell me that he used to work in this bar, everything is ok, and that I should just start a tab for him. I was unimpressed. I then explained that I need to collect his cash right away because I may forget what he ordered and how much he owes me considering all the other people I am serving. Blondie then said that he would remember. Yea right! Again, I said no. Blondie then said 'stop effing around and start me an effing tab.' I took a step back, breathed again, wiped the smile off my face and said I didn't appreciate being spoken to that way and that I wasn't going to start him an effing tab. I looked him straight in the eye and told him that no one else has ever had an issue with our policy and that he was being the most difficult person I have ever had to serve. Ever. Suddenly Blondie's mood changed and he stood straight up, apologized for being difficult and admitted that not many people have the courage to stand up to him. It was as if he was impressed that I had the balls to not take his attitude. After admitting how obnoxious he was, I told him I'd start him a tab  and that I'd have my eye on him. He took my hand, kissed it like I was a princess and said he'd be outside in the garden with his friends and that he was sorry for cursing at me. Blondie came back in about 20 minutes later to get some drinks from Rob and at 1:05am when I went to use the bathroom, I noticed Blondie was still outside with his friends. I let them know that we were making a last call and asked if I could get them anything else to drink. Blondie thanked me, turned down my offer and asked me to fetch his tab of 20.50 Soles. Blondie gave me 25 Soles and told me to keep the change. Apparently when people stand up to him, he gains huge amounts of respect and becomes their bff. I don't exactly like Blondie's method but at least I didn't break down and cry like the 2 female bartenders at The Point before I arrived. I felt somewhat accomplished for not letting him get to me!

Today I went shopping for some essentials in Parque Kennedy. I went into Ripley, a major department store where I figured I'd see the best variety of options. Whilst browsing, I heard on the loud speaker Ceelo Green's song 'Forget You' except it was the unedited version. It made me think of my mom because she loves tat song! I was surprised to hear that playing in a department store. After the department store I went to grab a taxi on the way home since the public bus I needed doesn't run on Sundays. I passed a woman holding a teeny puppy so I walked up to her to pet it and to ask her questions about this little creature. It turns out it was only 4 weeks old (I always thought puppies needed to be at least 8 weeks before they left their mothers so this somewhat concerned me)! As I pet the precious puppy the man behind the newspaper stand where the woman with the animal was standing asked me where I was from. After I told him, he smiled and asked if I wanted to buy the puppy for 50 Soles. I laughed back and bargained for 40 Soles. Turns out he was actually serious and really wanted me to buy the puppy for 50 Soles! I wish!! I really thought it belonged to that woman. I can't have a puppy at the hostel. That would have been nice.