April 09, 2012

Bolivia

I just left a meeting with my 2 managers and I gave them the news. I am leaving for Bolivia on Sunday. I have decided to leave Arequipa 2 weeks earlier than I had originally planned because of the amount of time it takes to travel between mountainous areas and jungles between Bolivia and Peru. To put things into perspective: Jason and I took a 1 hour and 5 minute flight to Cusco from Lima. The bus ride to and from the same exact destinations is 22 hours. Crazy right!? The wonderful couple I met from new Zealand will be traveling with me (Fran is letting out a huge sigh of relief right now) and I am ecstatic. Tom and Jovana (Jovi for short who was born in Serbia-go look at a map) have been staying here for the last couple of weeks having a blast with us. Jovi recently went to India for a Yoga Seminar, studies psychology, and is 23 and Tom is in law school, also 23 and is a cyclist. This is the most laid back couple I have ever met. When I asked them why they behaved in such manners they told me it was the New Zealand way! I had also decided (before I met Tom and Jovi) that when I go to Australia after the New Year, I want to hop on over to New Zealand after establishing myself a little bit in Melbourne. So I was pretty nervous about telling my bosses, because we're like a family. I haven't even told Tamir, the Jewish & Israeli owner who initially offered me the job. He'll be disappointed that I am leaving early, but who can be mad at my adorable face for long? I live in such close quarters with an excellent group of people and I knew I was going to get emotional. My other dilemma was that Tom offered to work in the bar and Jovi would stay and take Spanish lessons until I was ready to go to Bolivia which was going to be 2 weeks from now. We need bar staff for a minimum of 2 weeks. In deciding (literally last night) that I wanted to leave for Bolivia sooner, after Tom had committed to working in the bar, I didn't want to screw over his plans for a free bed, breakfast, lunch, and a discount on alcohol. Boy was I in a pickle! But I believe that honesty is the best way to go. So I sat down, went over my to-do list like getting a new lightbulb for our disco ball spotlight in the bar, ordering more beer for wednesday instead of thursday, and replacing the former beer supplier furniture and fridge with our new supplier. Lastly, i closed my computer where my notes were and got it out as soon as possible, like ripping off a bandaid as quickly as possible. They were not expecting the news at all. I explained my situation and Kate and Chris were very receptive and reacted well. They came up with the idea to still have Tom work since we need another body and Matt hadn't had a free day since he arrived last week. I got up and hugged them both, got slightly teary-eyed, and left to go finish training Tom. So that's it folks! I am continuing my travels on Sunday to Bolivia to see La Paz, Copacabana at Lake Titicaca, the salt flats, and eventually the jungle before getting back to Lima by May 2 (leaving me a 1 day grace period for my flight on may 4)! See you all in a few weeks!!