April 23, 2012

Emma


Jovi, Tom, and I are beginning to wrap up our travels in La Paz which has mostly consisted of shopping. We have been holding out on a lot of past shopping opportunities because of how cheap we were told Bolivia is. For example- the first sweater made of alpaca wool was 75 Soles- $28.30 that I bought in Lima from that cute lady Sarah who I went back to visit several times. Tom and Jovi each bought pure alpaca sweaters for 80 Bolivianos yesterday which comes out to be $11.76. I wasn't necessarily ripped off back in Lima, prices are just significantly lower in Bolivia and the more you buy, the better deal you can get.

This morning I was sitting in the lobby/reception area of our predominantly Israeli hostel waiting for my computer to charge while I tried to illegally stream my internet connection from the hostel we checked into when we first arrived here on Friday. No success, so I began to watch an episode of The Wire on my laptop. After about thirty minutes Juliana strolled in with her one year old asking if I had changed my mind about completing my entire head with dreadlocks. I still am not ready (and wasn't at the time either) to have my entire head done but I agreed to four more. My Brasilian friend said that she would charge me even less this time because while she had a lot of business Friday night and Saturday, again, she was short on cash and needed to take care of some expenses for her kids. How could I say no to that!? I followed Juliana back to her apartment/hostel room she's been renting nightly for several months with her two kids and their father for her to make the next couple of additions to my mop of a curly head. I handed her the equivalent of $2.89 for her craftsmanship and the entire family walked me back to my hostel because they had plans to eat lunch at the restaurnat next door. I was thirty minutes later than I had said I would be back to meet Tom and Jovi but I couldn't stop the artist in her groove. I found a note on my bed letting me know that they were starving and couldn't wait any longer (which I totally understood- it was almost 2pm) so they decided to do some shopping and would meet me in the room at 3pm. I choose to do some more shopping for the final items on my shopping list so I went to El Mercado de Las Brujas to get my bargain on. I approached a hoarder-looking store, took a deep breath and entered with a smile. I am learning that the attitude in which you enter a store completely determines the person's willingness to give you better prices. I walked through the door and brought the sunshine with me exclaiming 'Buenos dias! Como esta?' to the 80 something silver-haired, short and stalky woman and she replied with the same greeting. I was in, in so many ways. I asked for the first item on my list which I have been unable to cross off; a Matero which is a special cup for drinking tea using whole leaves as opposed to using a tea bag. It comes with a decorative straw finished off with a sieve-type contraption to prevent tea leaves from being sucked through it. I asked for a price and was pleased with the charming woman's response of 38 but that she could do 35. I even helped her fetch some more natural maté cups from the bottom shelf, tucked away in a cubbord and could tell that the fragile woman was appreciative from the way she smiled at me and said 'gracias mamita.' I picked out the cup I wanted with excitement and a smile from ear to ear and told the cute little old lady that I wasn't finished shopping. This was music to her ear! She was enjoying my enthusiastic visit. I could tell she hadn't had such an excited visitor in some time. I asked where I could find her wool socks made from 100% llama fur and picked out a stylish pair in beige. I proceeded to pick out more goodies, and presents for my immediate family and my tab was racking up. I complimented each piece I picked up to examine before deciding to add it to my pile and while I was being watched, I could feel the appreciation for appreciating the Bolivian products in the woman's store. I bought five items from the wrinkly lady and we came to an agreement of 175 Bolivianos- $25.36. While thigns here are dirt cheap, I have learned to react to price announcements with shock as if I was being ripped off. Ultimately, I am paying pennies, but I need to stretch my pennies as far as possible. As the soft spoken woman was sorting out my change, I asked her what her name was. I told Emma my name, leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek- the custom greeting in South American countries, and said that it was very nice to meet her. Emma asked me where I was from and how much longer I would be in Bolivia. After telling Emma that I had just 11 days left, my eyes began watering. I can feel it all wrapping up but that the best moments of my travels are yet to come. Emma pointed to a stool covered with scarves and invited me to sit down. She started digging through some piles of clothing and pulled out a black plastic bag. Inside the bag was a binder filled with 500 or so sheets of paper. She set the binder on my lap, opened it, and flipped through the pages. The book on my lap was entitled 'Los Amigos de Emma' and each page had three separate sections for the new people she meets who buy things from her and who she becomes friendly with. I was beyond honored to write my name, nationality, email, and opinion of her store. She must have made over 1000 friends with all the filled-in pages she had to flip through to find me a clean space. I filled out my information and helped Emma pack it back away carefully. I could tell this book was special and that she didn't pull it out for just anyone. Emma then walked to another part of the store and asked me if I wanted a love statue. I said yes to support my new friend and asked how much they were. Offended, Emma told me nothing. She picked up the minature statue, sat back down across from me, and took mulitcolored thread and wrapped it around the couple embracing each other in the name of love. I asked for the significance of the traditional statue and she was honored to tell me that a love statue in the home is for money, health, and love. She told me to cup my hands and hold them out. Emma asked if I had a husband. I said no. Then she asked if I had a boyfriend. Again, no. A man in my life? Nope. I told her that I had been attracting bad men in my life and that I was waiting for someone worth my while and deserving of the love I have to give. While she approved of my plan, she told me that she couldn't believe that someone so beautiful didn't have a special love in her life. Emma placed the statue in my hands and chanted some words I couldn't make out. She opened a tin, grabbed some sugar and springled it over my hands then threw some in my mouth. My little old lady friend told me that I will have a great love in my life in the future and that he will be worth the wait. I cried tears of happiness and we embraced each other and exchanged kisses on one another's cheeks. I left feeling refreshed and ecstaticly pleased with my new and meaningful purchases. I walked back to meet Jovi and Tom who arrived at 3:30pm and we went to do more shopping for the last few items that they needed to pick up before going to the post office to mail everything to New Zealand. While it'll cost an arm and a leg to send, they paid close to dirt for everything they picked up. Tonight we're getting falafel for dinner and I couldn't be more exicted! It's been sucha great day.